Wednesday 18 January 2012

Work Rut


I, like most people, have a very difficult time getting out of the rut that we call work. For years, each and every day of my life has followed the same procedure; I never really noticed this until my wife pointed it out to me while we were staying at a Short breaks Scotland hotel last summer. After waking up at 6 in the morning, I have my coffee, eat my cereal (the same kind for the past 15 years), quickly read the newspaper, and am out the door by 6:45. Thus, you can see how structured everything is in my life.

Holidays, or any type of big event, throws me for a loop. My routine no longer functions as it should, since the entire day is structured differently. Although I try to keep my morning routine the same during these times, they do not feel as genuine as work days. This is not to say that I enjoy working, quite contrary. If I could stay at home all day to spend time with my loved ones, I would absolutely take advantage of that. Yet, this is not how things have turned out for me, so I must keep slaving away for what we call 'the man'.

It makes me laugh when I actually see what I have written so far, as it feels as though I am in desperate need of an intervention of some sort. That is not the case at all. I just enjoy dependability, reliability, and my set routine. With that being said, I would not oppose an annual getaway to Scotland with my wife. Perhaps I could write off the Ballater hotel bill as medical expense. 'I needed to stay at that fine hotel or I was going to lose my mind'. On second thought, that may not go over so well with 'the man'.

No comments:

Post a Comment