Friday 4 November 2011

Hotel Over Resort

I have been on several types of trips during my life. I have done the all inclusive approach, backpacking through remote places, and even the typical short hotel stays. While all of them have aspects that are unique and entertaining, I can assure you that there will come a time in your life when you refuse to partake in at least one of them. Typically, it will be backpacking as it is generally for those that have knees that can withstand the torture, but you may also come to question your favourite resort.
How much are you really getting from those all inclusive packages? Surely you are not taking in the culture of the country, or even mingling with the locals for that matter. Instead, you give all that up for a fancy swimming pool and the option to drink all you want. While this may seem like a vacation to some, I do not believe that it is an adequate approach to travelling. How can you say that you have visited a country if you never leave the resort?

Luckily, there are still a few people out there that are willing to appreciate culture and are not afraid to get their hands dirty. While I do not mean to portray a negative image of resorts, I just want to expose them for what they truly are. They are merely a means to get away from your everyday life. They are great to relax and take in some sunshine, but fail to provide an understanding of what that particular country is all about. I cam e to this realization at our Hilton Sardinia hotel last year. Since this Doubletree Sardinia hotel was not a resort, I began to ask myself why I was enjoying my vacation so much. It all came down to memorable experiences, and partaking in activities that you could not do at home. Our hotel not only allowed us to find these activities, but they also put us in direct contact with those that facilitated them. What a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment